Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Kari Trade Impacts

So. Karppa is headed to Dallas. Southbound trains, singing the blues, that sort of thing? Not likely. A new start, a change of scenery, an (almost) absolutely clean slate, and a new team. As Marty Turco has been struggling of late, and not getting any younger, I like this deal on Dallas' end. In my mind they didn't give up too much, but this deal won't be fairly evaluated, ever. Down the road it'll be judged by how Kari played, and to an extent that is fair. But that completely removes the gamble taken by Stars' management. I like this move for that alone: A ballsy declaration that they're at least gunning for the dance for Lord Stanley's Cup, right now. In the here-and-now, I'm sure there are those who say Waddell absolutely fleeced GM Joe N. in Dallas. I say that ain't any more likely than Kari playing another game in Atlanta. And I'm sure there are those saying Dallas gave up WAY too much for a porcelain goalie who probably won't even be able to win the job from Turco if he IS healthy. To them I say watch and see. Karppa is a true talent. Almost got an over-the-hill or wet-behind-the-ears Thrashers team into the playoffs in 05-06 even after a FIVE GOALIE CAROUSEL to start the season. In 06-07 he wasn't quite in the same form, but he still got the Thrashers into the playoffs. Next time he's there I would think he won't buckle under the pressure. And yes, there was pressure in Atlanta. Wah WAH, wah wawawah. (how the hell do you spell Peanuts Gang's adults' conversations??)

Now then. On the the Thrashers.

Impacts. Waddell recently said the Thrashers could very well be buyers at the deadline after the Olympic break. One thing you HAVE to have in order to buy the talent you want/need is prospects (EDIT: also, draft picks, and we have a few of those we could move as well). Are the Thrashers acquiring a few extry prospects here and there with intent to sell? On defense, there's already something of a logjam (again. And hey, I think I could get used to seeing that written about the Thrashers!) with Oduya, Bogosian, Enstrom, and Hainsey likely making the top four next season, with Valabik and Schubert rounding out the top six. That doesn't list the prospects, but my mind organizes differently than that. The prospects who are thought to have a halfway decent shot at making the NHL roster are Kulda, who would likely fall somewhere 4-6, and Postma (who I personally think probably needs another little while in a pro league and a few more pounds, but I'll willingly admit error on that) who could challenge for a top four spot should a vacancy arise. So there doesn't seem to be room for Vish II. Whether or not a veteran defenseman is moved next season, as it is highly unlikely for this season with the team striving for a playoff berth down the stretch (unless the team stinks up the last 3 games before the Break and is in a position to sell at the deadline), is pure conjecture, and would need some more information first: do we hang on to all these prospects and move a veteran Dman (Kubina?) or do we buy at the deadline and send some prospects somewheres else? Either way, fun stuff. And certainly a hell of a lot more excitement for 'Lanter fans than we've had in many moons as regards player movement.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post sir. I think your point about waiting and seeing/being neither fleeced nor non-fleeced is exactly right.

    I'm not sure if we're truly making a push for the Cup right now. We MIGHT be, and the players, I'm sure, certainly think of it that way. I just don't know if Waddell and Dudley see themselves are making a push now or as still re-building on some level. And when I say "I don't know" I really mean I have absolutely no fragging clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the odds are about even on that one, so your guess is as good as mine. This is the fun part of rosters in my opinion: speculation. Who goes where for whom and what? I just hope people retain perspective and don't go off the reservation without reservation...

    ReplyDelete