Friday, March 5, 2010

Glacier appears to bleed

On my morning rounds of headlines and links, I came across this and stared at the picture. I won't post the picture because I like to let the guy or gal to whose post or article I link get their traffic (even though I'd only be stealing maybe five or ten-ish people; I'm not delusional about how many read this), but let's just say the picture is a must see. In my somewhat limited grasp of biology I was wrong as to the cause of the glacial nosebleed: I had thought it might be something like a red tide. But I wasnt too far off. Here's the link.

And speaking of blood, one of my all-time favorite books, which if I remember correctly I gave to my biology lab instructor at the the end of the semester during which I did a report on the book (damnit. Oh well, he can use it more than I can and I can always get another copy), is Their Blood Runs Cold by Whit Gibbons. I'd thought it'd be boring as hell since it's about herpetology (it's the atudy of reptiles and amphibians, NOT a venereal disease) and the biologists' stories of encounters with said things that make (some) women go eek. But it was actually a hilarious read and not as dry as I was afraid it'd be. It's the guy's collection of anecdotes from his years on the job with quite a lot of info thrown in. It was a book that I found myself reading more for entertainment than for the report, and only after it was over and I was working on the report did I realize how much information was in there and how much I'd learned about the subject. I'm still no herpetologist, but I do have a much greater appreciation for them after that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment