Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Obstacles to Thrashers' playoff hopes

Chris Vivlamore of AJC sports fame has written a piece on 5 things the Thrashers need to do in order to right the ship.

While all these things are easily identified as problems, and therefore one could pass C-Viv the O'd cape of Captain Obvious, I think perhaps it needed to be said again. However, short of bringing up some kids from the farm one at a time until something works, I'm not entirely sure how to fix them without going outside the organization. I don't think it's time to fire either coach or general manager at this point. There could come a point where I agree with one or both of those lines of thinking, but I still think this is a playoff caliber team with playoff caliber management. Not, probably, Stanley Cup Finals caliber, and perhaps not even Conference Finals caliber, but I certainly think this team is capable of making the playoffs and even winning two or three games, hell maybe a series, while there. And, as Ben Wright posted via Twitter, the bar for qualifying for the postseason seems to be a bit lower in the Eastern Conference this season.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you've started quite a blog here. I hope your new project doesn't keep you away from the Chronicle THAT often.

    More importantly: I'm still too frightened to look at the standings. I've heard rumors that we're, depending on who you ask, 2 or 3 points out of the playoffs. It's certainly possible to make them, given that the East is, as you point out, so terrible this season. But...my confidence in anything to do with the Thrashers is really waning. I remember when an 8-game losing streak in the 07-08 season (during which Hossa left) was considered a big, horrendous deal. It seems like most people (myself included) are simply numb to this 9-game, going on 10-game slump. So depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, sir. No worries, Ill be over there more than here. Simply can't compete with y'all haha

    It is pretty depressing to endure a slump that lasts more than about 5 games. I'm very concerned about the team at this point, but the fact that they're still in a position to battle for a playoff spot after a 4 and sucked-@ss December shows that they really started strong. I think they can get back to that. And since, except for the dismal year in which Kozzy played all season on bum knee and with bum shoulder, the team has heated up down the stretch every season since the lockout, I think they get it back in gear and effect (give or take a little) enough of a turnaround to be in position to make the playoffs.

    And once you're in, anything can happen.

    ReplyDelete