Monday, January 4, 2010

Thrashers @ Isles 2 Jan 2010 & the shootout

I tuned back into the game when the score was 5-4 because of this tweet. I had jumped the gun on finding something else to do. The game had a great finish, and I even agreed with the decision to play not to lose in the OT period in favor of the Thrashers' chances in the shootout. Unfortunately, that was where the Thrashers' luck ran out, as Moose uncharacteristically gave up two shootout goals on three attempts. Kozlov converted, but Kovalchuk and Peverley did not. The Thrashers fell in the shootout after a comeback attempt reminiscent of when the Thrashers were stealing games in the third.

Though the Thrashers have typically been pretty strong in the shootout with the likes of Moose in net and Kozlov usually scoring, but it has long been said that Kovalchuk does not perform as well in the shootout as might be expected. Peverley has scored some clutch goals during his time with the Thrashers, but . The loss in the shootout raises some questions: Should Kovalchuk be taken out of the shootout? Should Peverley? If so, whom should be inserted into the shootout lineup? Afinegenov was extremely dangerous on breakaways earlier in the season; I would likely put him in there were I to remove either Kovalchuk or Peverley, but I don't know which I would remove. Or perhaps it isn't broken at all and nothing needs to be changed. It just seems to this fan that the Thrashers rely on Moose to make a save or three and Kozzy a goal and aside from that, the shootout gameplan seems to be "Hope and pray we win." If and I knew a quicker way to do it than sifting through every game-deciding shootout since the lockout, or even this season, one by one, I would really like to see how often one goal is enough to walk away from the shootout with the extra point for the standings. Maybe the statisticians over at Bird Watchers Anonymous can help me out with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment